AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why not sell at birth, but a bit different.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hawkeyefan
Posted 3/2/2024 19:42 (#10648779 - in reply to #10648080)
Subject: RE: Why not sell at birth, but a bit different.

N.W. Iowa
Sidneyfarmer - 3/2/2024 10:32

I've had cattle since I was 9 years old sport. I'm going on 69 now. I've made a living off of them my whole life, most of the time as my sole source of income. Young folks these days would rather eat their seed than grow a crop if it means a few bucks in their pocket. The other post about this talks about some imaginary "bubble" that somebody put in their head. We're not in a bubble, we're at the higher end of a cycle. Anybody with more than a few years experience knows about them. I'm sure the poster's dad is well aware of them. Why in the world would somebody risk loosing a big pay day down the road for a few cents now?

One of the most successful farmers I ever knew around here was in the hog business. It wasn't a huge operation by today's standards by any means, but he always had a nice line of equipment, a new ranch style home, his wife and kids always dressed nice. He was just successful, there's no other way to put it. There was a bunch of us standing around the elevator one day talking and somebody asked him for advice. He said get in to one thing, do it right and stick with it. He said put money in the bank in the good years and ride it out in the bad.

These guys that think they have to jump in and out of things every time a cycle goes up or down are going to fail. They'll always get in at the wrong time, thinking they're going to get rich, or get out at the wrong time.

Go ahead, give him the wisdom that you've accumulated. Tell him to jump in and out of things. How many times have you seen it work out?

I’ve had livestock all my life and done it both ways in terms of cycles. Never made so much money as I did in selling grain one year instead of feeding it. When things changed I fed cattle again.
No right or wrong to it.
What I won’t do is tell somebody else how to do it and call them scared little boys or whatever degrading remarks you made to grown men.

Edited by Hawkeyefan 3/3/2024 06:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)