AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag leader display cable options.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/14/2024 16:13 (#10623420 - in reply to #10623255)
Subject: RE: Ag leader display cable options.

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Will a 4001375-12 display cable in pic 1 work in place of 4001608-12 in pic 2? It has power in and can out. It also has the relay ( what is that for). I don't need Ethernet or can B. Looks like it should work or what am I missing?
Edit: I think I read the relay provides power to GPS if needed.
And I will have power to the three pin weather pack.

You are correct in that you do not need the ethernet nor the CAN B branch of the first drawing.

Looking at the second drawing follow the connections from the battery. I am referring to the 4002016. You will need it or an equivalent. This harness picks up Power and Ground directly from the Battery so this circuit will be "hot" at all times unless a battery disconnect is involved which would be a good idea. That cable has several branches on it. You will need the 3 pin Weather Pak as that provides power to the display which in turn can power the GPS and CAN through the relay. There is a branch for Guidance Power which you could use if you have an auto or assisted steering system. It has a 2 pin Deutsch connector that provides power and ground for modules that need High Current Power such as your Strip-till module.

Using the 4001979 as shown is a convenient way to connect to a pull-type implement as it makes it easy to disconnect behind the tractor cab. Notice that the 4001989-3 has a branch that connects to the CAN system and also has a second Deutsch connector. The second Deutsch connector which is not connected to anything in the drawing COULD be connected to the battery also with a fused battery stub cable (not shown). Having this connected to the battery would then provide a second source of High Current Power and Ground back to the implement. For a single module, this is not necessary. For more complicated setups using several modules, section valves etc., having a second pair of High Current Power and Ground is desirable.

The implement cable 4000726 stays with the implement. It mates with the 40001979. It contains 4 large terminals and four smaller terminals. The large terminals across from each other form the two pairs of High Current Power and Ground. The four small inner terminals are for the CAN communication. The implement cable has a round CAN connector on the far end as well as Deutsch 2 pin connectors for the High Current Power and ground Both pairs of High Current power will be available for use ONLY if the second Deutsch connector on the 4001979 in the tractor is also connected to the tractor battery. Use a meter to confirm that the connector you use for the High Current Power for the Strip-till module is getting Power and Ground from the tractor. Test this between the 2 pins in the connector.

This brings up another point. For troubleshooting, one of the first tests is to disconnect the High Current connector at the module and test for 12V between the red and black wires. The module must have High Current Power and this is the only way to confirm that it is present. There are no lights nor warnings if the High Current source has failed. Many operators assume that if the LED on the module is blinking green that all is well electrically. This is not the case, a blinking green LED is necessary but it only confirms that communication on the CAN buss is healthy. It does not confirm the status of the High Current Power. You need to unplug the connector and test with a meter between the red and black terminals.

You may have noticed that there is no High Current connection in the top drawing. The Application Rate Module is only for monitoring and does not do any "work" in the sense of cycling section valves, control valves etc. The Application Rate module and combine modules do not need a High Current source. Most other Application modules such as your Strip-till module require a High Current Power source to do their job.

Edited by tedbear 2/15/2024 06:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)