AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Locker beef processing cost
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 2/10/2024 09:53 (#10617034 - in reply to #10616343)
Subject: RE: Locker beef processing cost

hinfarm - 2/9/2024 19:05 At $5 they still aren't making any money

I've only had beef butchered a few times at the locker so maybe this doesn't pertain 100% to beef but I'd bet its pretty close.

There's only 2 ways I can have a hog butchered and come out ahead on the cost of the pork in my freezer (vs store bought).

#1 is when the price of hogs gets so low and out of whack with meat prices in the store, like during Covid when you couldn't give away a hog but the price of meat in the store never went down.     

#2 is by taking hogs to the locker that would get discounted HEAVILY at the packing plants.    For example, belly ruptures, there is nothing wrong with the pork from a belly rupture hog but the big packing plants won't take them and when you take them to a cull hog buyer you maybe get 25% of the value of a good hog.

Oh, and the local locker that I usually go to is for sale again so I'm guessing that even though I think he charges a lot for butchering/processing, its probably not wildly profitable for him.    I hope that it finds a new owner and one way or another stays in business.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)