AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall Bred Cow Market
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Lb94
Posted 2/9/2024 09:56 (#10615681)
Subject: Fall Bred Cow Market

West Central Illinois
Never paid much attention to price of fall breds ever before since wasn't ever interested. I'm about ready to pickup a group of cows to put on a new rented pasture i'm working on the fences now to get ready. Have plenty of hay but really have nowhere to put these cows until i get this fence down in a week or so.

Most of my cows currently i put bulls out Aug. 1 and calve on grass. My idea was to make this farm for Fall calving so i could put my bulls i already own to work over there in December and calve in the fall. Also thought would be a good idea for diversification to sell another calf crop different time of year and help with cash flow.

What time of year is ideal to pickup fall calvers? Always figured stay away from cow sales when green grass comes but is that just the case for spring calvers or do the fall cow markets get hot in the spring too? My thoughts with what the market is and what has worked for me in the past is try to have an order buyer put together a group of 6 yr old+ to short solid that are around that 1,000 - 1100 lb range give or take. Or should a guy buy 2nd and 3rd period cows now get calves sooner to generate a check next fall/winter then just breed them back late? Can a guy still put together a group for around cull cow price on these if he's not picky about reds, hereford, etc. mixed in there?

Knew there was a lot of bred cow buyers/traders on here that do this kind of thing regularly wanted to see what thoughts were, not the greatest time to expand but with the circumstances and this place being next to the home farm i can't really pass it up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)