AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle order buyers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

SKS
Posted 2/3/2024 09:24 (#10606481 - in reply to #10606287)
Subject: RE: Cattle order buyers

NWIA
Back in the 70’s we had a great order buyer. We would 6-8 loads of calves in that 45-500 wt range. If we got finished with harvest in time dad would go out to South Dakota and spend a couple days with the order buyer buying calves for us. One year he set us up with a rancher out west river to buy his calves. We drove to the middle of nowhere to an empty coral. We got out and stretched wondering if we were at the right place. After about 5 minutes we see the calves coming over the pushed by the cowboys. Coolest thing I ever seen. Everything went so smooth it almost seemed rehearsed. The plan now was to stop at a sale barn and pick up 15-18 more to complete the load. Dad bids on at least a half dozen lots without getting any. By this time he has spotted 3 or4 order buyers sitting across the ring from us who were passing the bid among themselves to keep dad out. Dad turned to me and he was going to buy the next suitable lot no matter the cost. Well let me tell you he paid dearly. Dad was pretty mad and went over to speak with with them and explain what we were doing. It was a little late for that but when they heard what was going on they told dad he should have let them know that. They would have let him get what he needed and we could have gotten back on the road. I think order buyers are a tight group who are not too excepting of new members. Expensive lesson learned.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)