AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag leader foot switch
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/25/2024 06:24 (#10592246 - in reply to #10592179)
Subject: My Experience with Foot Switches

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I installed an Ag Leader Steady Steer Assisted Steering system in my combine season before last. I purchased the stub cable from Ag Leader that plugs into the Steady Steer ECU and leads to a 4 pin connector. Only two of the pins are used. This can be used with any momentary switch to engage/disengage the Steady Steer system.

Coincidently, Harbor Freight happened to have a momentary foot switch on sale at the time. It is designed to be used with a drill press or similar tool. It had a cord with a 110VAC plug on it and a 110VAC receptacle on the switch enclosure. The cord was plugged into an outlet and the drill cord was plugged into the receptacle on the foot switch.. The normal drill press switch was then locked in the ON position. Then an operator could start/stop the drill press by pushing on the switch with their foot.

It was built quite well and fairly cheap. I purchased one, disassembled it, cut and rearranged the cord. I snipped the wires leading to the receptacle but left it in place. Two of the three wires in the cord were attached directly to the momentary switch. The third Green ground wire was not used and was just sniped off short. I cut the 110VAC plug off the external end of the cord and replaced it with a mating connector to mate with the Ag Leader stub cable. It worked fine.

I also made a finger switch with a momentary push button and the same style of connector. This meant I could use either the hand or foot switch or other methods to engage/disengage. They both worked fine but I found that I preferred the finger switch rather than having to "feel around" for the foot switch. I put it up for sale here on the Classifieds and believe it sold. Maybe I still have it. I had some other minor items for sale last Spring and I will need to check my box of wiring harnesses to see what I have left.

The Ag Leader Steady Steer system engages when the switch is pushed and there is very little delay. Other systems such as the Trimble Auto Steer in my Quad tractor engage when the button is released after being pushed. With the Trimble system, I need to push the button and hold it a bit before releasing to insure that the steering engages.

Here is a picture of the finger switch I ended up using with both the Ag Leader Steady Steer and the Truesight 2 feeler system for steering in corn with feelers on the corn head. The smaller picture shows the HF foot switch which I modified but did not use much.

Edited by tedbear 1/25/2024 10:19

(IMG_2344[1] (full).JPG)

(HF Foot Switch (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2344[1] (full).JPG (109KB - 49 downloads)
Attachments HF Foot Switch (full).jpg (1KB - 38 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)