AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Syrup Storage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

olivetroad
Posted 1/26/2024 18:43 (#10594969 - in reply to #10590165)
Subject: RE: Corn Syrup Storage

Kingdom of Callaway - Fulton, Mo 65251

I started feeding syrup this last year and it is now a big part of my rations.  Here is what I learned:

1. Anything smaller than a semi load is too much time/work/mess/expense for what you get out of it.  You would be better off with wet cake if you are not set up to handle 6000 gallons.

2. Don't use a plastic tank.  It is very hot.  I was called once to hurry come get a load when something was wrong at the plant.  It was still boiling inside my semi tank trailer.

3. It is a very inconsistent product - it varies a LOT between loads.  It is better to blend the loads.  Some are like lemonade, some are liquid peanut butter.

4. It also varies a lot between different plants.  Some products have better feed value than others.  We test almost every load.

5. You need a way to circulate the syrup.  See #3

6. It will freeze.

I got along great with the stuff until we hit a patch of below zero weather a few weeks ago.  I do not know what they put in QLF, as it pumped out fine.  But the syrup from the ethanol plant was frozen solid.   I am getting ready to install a second 22,000 gallon tank alongside my existing 14,000 gallon one, and then I am going to build a building over the whole works.  I have seen posts here on Agtalk of guys that buried the tank.  They use a manure circulation pump to pump out the syrup so that when you finish, you can reverse it and drain out the syrup from the lines to keep it from freezing.  I think that would work well.  I also think a used "fat tank" with a heating coil inside it would work out well.  I decided though that I am going to build the building so everything is inside.  The heat from a newly delivered semi load of syrup should do most of the work of keeping a well insulated building from freezing.

The way I got around the freezing issue this year was by building a three sided berm around one side of my silage concrete pad.  I basically made a swimming pool and pulled the trailer alongside and let it pour on out.  It worked really well.  I just everyday took a loader bucket and scooped up a half bucket full at a time and then dumped it in the mixer.  I also have stood on a concrete pad holding the discharge hose and sprayed it on a big pile of ground hay.  Lots of good ways to feed it when it is cold outside, as it won't spoil as fast, and there are no flies.  It is good stuff once you are set up to handle it easily.....

(PXL_20231111_123932193 (full).jpg)

(PXL_20230915_135850442 (full).jpg)

(PXL_20231007_181329284 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PXL_20231111_123932193 (full).jpg (143KB - 21 downloads)
Attachments PXL_20230915_135850442 (full).jpg (148KB - 12 downloads)
Attachments PXL_20231007_181329284 (full).jpg (153KB - 20 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)