AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Truck scales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/19/2024 06:15 (#10581765 - in reply to #10581743)
Subject: RE: Truck scales

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Also just a side note. The guy that bought our used scales was warned the floor had some holes that needed repairs. I told them if we kept scales I would have totally reskinned it. They had come out of a building we had.

Well he just blew it off, thinking deck was fine. He got them certified, all ready to go. But didn't weigh on them until December. Had storms come and go, freezing weather. Well a hole in deck the melting snow, ice went down and encapsulated a load cell on the backside that wasn't readily seen without visually checking.

So sale day, calves weighed light. Kid was sick to his stomach, cattle buyer weighed them, loaded his own trucks and sent two states away. After loading trucks they found scale problem. Everyone was sick, so buyer weighed at his yard. Was a 30,000 dollar difference. Buyer had been buying his calves for 5 years or more. So he knew shrink to his place. He cut kid another check for difference.

Kid thought I was dumb when I told him scales needed reskinded. He told me he learned his lesson on that. He had been jaw jacking we were stupid to be changing scales out. He hurried and built a roof over the scales right after that. So a 5,000 dollar set of scales cost him 30 grand on one weigh day. He thought he could get by not repairing them. All the certification had been done in good weather.

Cattle buyer was a stand up guy, and cut kid a check. He didn't have too. As kid said scales were certified and ready to go. Life lesson for that kid. Like another post here a day or so ago. Some life lessons cost a little bit more than others.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 1/19/2024 06:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)