AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Combining Finances
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

jwal10
Posted 12/7/2023 20:38 (#10514787 - in reply to #10512496)
Subject: RE: Combining Finances

Western Oregon
We got married young, 17 and 14. Been married 50 yrs Nov 25th. I had my checking account. She had hers. I had a farm account. We decided to keep it that way but put both our names on each of them. We opened a household account, each put money in monthly, for food and other household expenses. We watched it monthly at first, then yearly. I found out quick what I had expected, she was tighter than I was. Extra was used to update household. If farm got equipment, house got equipment.

We did this after we saw how my older brother and his wife spent like drunken sailors, if they had a dollar in their pocket (checking account, it was used). Fmha finally just ended up making a monthly deposit into a household account. Same, a separate farm account for "parts and tools" to keep them on budget. After a few bounced checks, they got the hint (even less to spend).

Over the years things changed, I had surgeries and low farm income, she stopped working to have our 2 kids. She went back to work when youngest was enrolled in private preschool, at same school as music teacher, later secretary as part payment for his tuition. After I had to quit farming because of my health, we closed all of them, kept savings accounts. Rest went into a joint account to make it easy for wife, as we didn't know if I was going to live. I did, she retired when youngest graduated 8th grade, I retired at 55 after 16 years 1/2 time at the city. Both took S.S same year, me 65, her 62. Medicare at 65, her Jan 1, 2024. Birthday Dec 10....James

Edited by jwal10 12/7/2023 20:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)