AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What strip till unit am I looking for?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GrainGrower37
Posted 11/21/2023 14:01 (#10491063 - in reply to #10490229)
Subject: RE: What strip till unit am I looking for?

WI
FFJR - 11/20/2023 22:37

I don't know if it will help your exact situation, but I put new coulters on my redball units last year, I found that I could get a 22" diameter to fit without modifications. This fall was having trouble not moving enough dirt, ended up I was slicing too deep, and the slot opened up around the shank so it wasn't pulling up as much as it should. I ended up shallowing the gauge wheels and dropping the shank down 1 hole. That seemed to help. I've never had issues quite like you describe up front, unless in really loose dirt for some odd reason (going over a previous pass or something disked like a fence line. I am running in the middle position on my coulters, and just one hole mostly visible of the shank sticking above the mounting bracket.

Where I have issues is due to old age/ wear - and issues with the row cleaners not moving the residue enough, plugging with the row cleaner, then building from there. I had cover crop drilled this fall, and had the best fall conditions afterwards that I've built fall strips in. I am getting to the point where there is row unit wear that I can't take out with new bushings, so at times the row units want to run tipped to one side or the other, dropping the shank a bit deeper has helped that situation by pulling the row in and vertical at the same time.

The peat/muck is always really loose dirt. It's a unique animal. If I could no-till it I would because it doesn't need tillage for the compaction/structure side of things, it just needs to be black or have the residue thinned out to dry and warm up. That's why I love the strips. It keeps most of the field firm but gets my seed zone workable.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)