AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gary Taubes - The History of a Very Bad Idea: Energy Balance, Fat Shaming & the Science of Obesity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/14/2023 10:18 (#10270242 - in reply to #10270190)
Subject: RE: Bomb Calorimeter

Pittsburg, Kansas

Do a search for "liver blood test results" or something similar and you will find some information about your blood test levels.

A physical indication of a fatty liver is a dunlap belly. Where the belly done laps over the belt. As the liver enlarges with fat it causes a protruding belly because of its physical size growth.

Many years ago if a person had a fatty liver it meant they were an alcoholic. Excess alcohol consumption will cause fatty liver because alcohol is ported directly to the liver and the liver converts it into fat in the liver. Now days fatty liver is common (I've heard numbers of 40% of adults in the US and 25% worldwide) and even children have the problem. They are not alcoholics. Why??? The answer is fructose. A hundred or 125 years ago consumption of sugar in the diet was only a small fraction of what it is today. Table sugar is half fructose and half glucose. Fructose, just like alcohol, is ported through the portal vein directly to the liver and processed there. Soft drinks (like Coke, Pepsi, etc.) are loaded with fructose (either via sugar or high fructose corn syrup). Drink a two liter of Pepsi or Dr Pepper a day like I used to many years ago and a fatty liver is almost guaranteed.

The good news is as long as it has not gone too far and suffers cirrhosis, fatty liver is reversible. Cut out the stuff that causes it (sodas and fruit juices are main culprits) and within days the fat in the liver will start reversing.

But I told you more than you ask. Some doctors no longer point out fatty liver to patients because it is so common, I have heard. Your liver blood test should give you an indication if there it a problem. It should be towards the low end of the "normal" range because the ranges are made up of one standard deviation of the average. If a bunch of sick people with fatty liver are included in the "average" the "normal" ranges may not be "optimal" ranges. If that makes sense.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)