AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Berberine: Liver and Metabolic Health
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/16/2023 20:46 (#10274093 - in reply to #10272847)
Subject: RE: Berberine brand

Pittsburg, Kansas

Not yet anyway.

That said metformin hasn't seemed to do much either. I quit taking the metformin a couple weeks ago. Actually I quit everything including the berberine. I started back up on only the berberine and will take just it for a while.

When I started on the metformin last year I thought at the time it might have helped about 5 points on my fasting blood glucose. But the longer I have went it seemed like it was no better than last year. So I am not sure it helped any at all.

I decided to quit both the metformin and berberine while on the low carb cruise, which by the time we left early and drove there and back was almost two weeks. I knew on the cruise there would be some slippage on my low carb diet and I just wanted to see how I did back on zero meds. I could not tell much difference. I did not cheat much and definitely not big time. I did have a few things that would have raised my blood sugar some but not excessive. I can't say I really saw any difference than I would have on the metformin and berberine I was taking prior to the trip. I had a little elevated blood glucose after I ate a few more carbs than normal, but really no more than I would have expected when on the medicine. 

So for now I think I will just stay off the metformin and take the berberine for a couple months and see if I notice any changes for the better. When I talked to Dr Eric Westman about my 125-130 fasting glucose in the morning, after he heard I lost 100 pounds and otherwise my after meal glucose levels were great with a 5.8 (prediabetic) last test, he said he would not worry about it. So I may just do that. My other blood markers are fine. My last fasting insulin assay was single digit. 

Edited by John Burns 6/16/2023 20:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)