AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Berberine: Liver and Metabolic Health
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/24/2023 07:49 (#10241472 - in reply to #10241248)
Subject: RE: Berberine brand

Pittsburg, Kansas

This is the particular brand I am using. It was just kind of a pot luck choice, nothing special about it. It has several additional ingredients. I presume that is for better absorption but I am not sure of that (Berberine does not have great absorption rates). It costs about the same as some of them with less ingredients. But I am not saying this one is any better or worse that other brands because I simply do not know. I think it has 600mg of the Berberine.

Berberine 13100mg with Ceylon Cinnamon Turmeric Milk Thistle Bitter Melon Maximum Potency Glucose Immune Heart Support - 90 Days Supply (90 Count (Pack of 1))

I was taking one pill once a day at evening meal time but I think I am going to start taking it twice a day, based on what I have seen in the video, to see if it helps with my fasting glucose. My after meal glucose is excellent. Unless I eat something I shouldn't usually under 140 (and that is with a low carb desert) after meals and last night it was 111. But the morning fasting glucose is the one I have had trouble getting down as low as I would like it to be. Usually around 125-135, with last AM 125. That is basically what it ran when I was diabetic with an A1c of 6.9-7 so has not came down but with the big difference that back then I was taking a total of 90-100 units of regular insulin a day in four shots (mixed with some long acting at night) plus two or three diabetic medicines. Of course with the insulin I would make a mistake either in what I dosed or what I ate or what I ate for the amount of insulin I dosed and once or twice a month would go low sometime in the middle of the night and have to get up and eat something after waking from a cold sweat from a glucose low. With farmer hours eating, farmer hours sleeping and farmer different levels of physical activity, dosing the insulin shots was always a balancing act and I did fair at it but still made mistakes on occasion. But I digress......... and telling you more than you ever wanted to know. All that, thankfully, is behind me. Have NEVER had another low glucose episode after getting off the insulin shots and I was happy back then if I stayed under 180 after meals with 160 my target. After changing to low carb/keto and getting off all the drugs (except I started Metformin 500mg about 6 months ago to see if it would help with the morning fasting level glucose) now I am horrified if I see it over 155 and only ever see it that high if I do something specific to see how my pancreas is doing by exposing it to a sugar or carb load. Low carb, at least in my case, completely reversed my type II diabetes of at least 30 years and probably 15-20 years of insulin dependent. I'm not claiming it will do that for everyone, but it did for me. Now my A1c the last two years has been 5.7 and 5.8 which is just on the border pre-diabetic. Would like to see that down around 5 but definitely below 5.6.

Whew! That was a way more than you ever wanted to know. But my morning fasting glucose level is what I have been trying to figure out. If I could get that down some I think my A1c would go down to the non-diabetic range instead of the pre-diabetic. For some reason my liver still thinks I need the glucose in the morning more than what I hope it would be. Instead of the 125-135 I would like to see it at around 100. That is the reason I started taking Metformin again about 6 or 8 months ago and just recently the Berberine. I don't think the Metformin has done much. MAYBE helped 4 or 5 points. But for some reason I keep taking it. Tried 500 twice a day for a while and did not seem to make any difference. For some reason my liver still acts like a fatty liver and is supplying an excess of glucose during the night when I sleep. I know it is not the carbs I eat because I can go to zero carbs at meals (which is not totally uncommon) and does not seem to make a difference in the fasting glucose. It does in the after meal glucose reading. Brings it down from about 130-140 to around 110-120.

One explanation is that as our red blood cells get healthier they can live longer. A1c is based on the red blood cells living around 90 days average. It is how much glycation is attached to the cell giving an indication of how much glucose it was exposed to during its lifetime. A person can have healthier blood cells that can live somewhat longer so they are exposed to the glucose and glycation a longer period of time so will show more total glycation. So the A1c reading can be artificially high compared to other people with shorter life span red blood cells. The opposite can also be true. A low reading A1c but because of the shorter life of the blood cells there have actually been higher glucose readings than what is indicated by the A1c average................ but again I digress. 

This is the reason I am trying Berberine. Trying to get my fasting glucose levels down another notch without going to things like sulfonureas or other diabetic drugs that do not have particularly desirable side effect potential. My after meal glucose levels are great, not horrible for even a complete non-diabetic. It is the fasting glucose I would like to see lower for the health of my eyes, toes, heart and every other organ in my body. My wife has just spent time helping a very dear friend of hers after she had a toe lopped off............because of diabetes. I don't want the same. Since going low carb and getting off nearly all the meds I no longer have the peripheral neuropathy I had in my feet that was starting to get bad enough I would sleep with the covers off my feet because they were hot. I also was headed down that path. I no longer have that so great improvement has been made. I want to keep going in that direction and not the direction of my wife's friend.

High glucose is not the only problem diabetics face. High insulin levels are also detrimental. But all the medical community follows is glucose levels, not insulin levels. My insulin levels were at single digit levels last test, so pretty darn good.

As you can see, I have done a bit of thinking and research on the subject plus a lot of personal experience and effort.

Back to your question..........finally. Here is what I am taking.

https://www.amazon.com/Berberine

Edit: Just checked my fasting glucose (waited long enough to escape any dawn effect) and it was 128. So not sure the Berberine (or the Metformin for that matter) is helping. Will keep taking it for a month or two to see.

Edited by John Burns 5/24/2023 08:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)