AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ND rain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

IALTO
Posted 5/7/2023 15:41 (#10219610 - in reply to #10219582)
Subject: RE: ND rain

WC MN
I know right? People were saying everything was going to PP.

A month ago we had just finished up a 2 day blizzard and had not melted really any snow yet. Things did not look promising. We have come a long ways and up until the last week we had not really had much decent weather. Our extremely dry year last year and lack of frost allowed more moisture to go in the ground than normally does.

I said 2 months ago I wouldn't plant corn in June and I still won't. I never put a number on pp acres, I never said I was planning on it. I said how I would approach things if it came to it. We are now about 60 cents lower on Dec corn so my decision would only be easier IF it comes to that. Hopefully it doesn't as I would rather plant a crop as would most all farmers.

I'd choose PP on June 1 over planting corn because there are decent odds it will be a close call for it to mature and even if it does it could be very high moisture. That could lead to a very late harvest and or lack of fall tillage which makes the next year all the more difficult. And then I have an increased chance of the same or worse situation where I may be looking at PP. This year I know all the details of what a PP payment would be. Next year we could be at a spring price of $4.50 and it be a much bigger financial hit.

These are my thoughts. Not calling for massive PP acres or cheering for them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)