AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Keto home made ice cream
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 4/23/2023 19:45 (#10200337)
Subject: Keto home made ice cream

Pittsburg, Kansas

I had a request via email for a recipe for our keto/ low carb ice cream. I'll just post it here so if I get ask again will not have to retype it. LOL

Wife got this from good friends so we will pass it along. Here it is. They played with the ingredients till they got it where they wanted it, and it was delicious.

Start out with a 4 cup measuring cup.
To the measuring cup add one cup of heavy cream, 7-8ounces of 85% chocolate bar chopped up, 3 heaping tablespoons of cocoa.
Wisk and melt the heavy cream, chocolate bar and cocoa all together on low heat (or microwave).
In another bowl mix 3-4 egg yolks (about 4 ozs if using egg yolks in a carton).
Then to the egg yolks in the bowl gradually add a small amount of the cream mixture to temper the eggs (you don't want to "cook" the eggs with too hot or too much of the mixture at once).
Once the eggs are tempered, add them back into the rest of the 4 cup measuring cup mixture.
To the mixture add a pinch of salt and two teaspoons vanilla.
Optionally add in 2-4 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk. Optional.
Then add enough additional heavy cream to fill the 4 cup measuring cup so you have 4 cups mix total.
Chill the mixture to finish cooling it down.
Add one eighth to one fourth of a cup of water before pouring it into the ice cream making machine (without the water it will not freeze). 
Put mixture in your favorite ice cream machine to freeze it up. Best served fresh, but if you save part of it to the refrigerator freezer it will get fairly hard. Set it out to soften for 15-20 minutes before serving. Wife freezes the extra servings in individual containers so she can just set two at a time out for our desert that night to thaw a little before serving.

Our friends used the sweetened condensed milk because there were about half and half low carb eaters in the group they were entertaining. It was great that way and us not being used to sugar tasted sweet. Even the non low carbers loved it. My wife does not use the sweetened condensed milk to keep it lower carb count. It will not taste sweet at all but we are used to more of a tart chocolate taste and like it fine that way. Probably half the carbs that way. The sugar would come from the combination of the sweetened condensed milk and the 15% in the chocolate bar. If I recall correctly they figured with the sweetened condensed milk it might have had 8-10 carbs per serving (makes 8 servings at half cup). 

A person could also forgo the sweetened condensed milk and instead use 70% or some other higher sugar content chocolate bar for a sweeter taste. Or for super low carb go to 95% chocolate bar. 

It is not excessively sweet like commercial ice cream. But for us it hits the spot. Hope you like it.

Edit: My wife serves it with fresh whipped cream (no sugar added) on top of the ice cream, 4-6 blueberries (or one strawberry sliced up) and a couple of pecan halves chopped up on top. Or sometimes with some chopped up 85% chocolate bar like in the picture.

Edited by John Burns 4/23/2023 22:08

(Low carb ice cream (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Low carb ice cream (full).jpg (72KB - 132 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)