AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whos Precision Farming System is most user friendly?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Dirtman
Posted 12/11/2006 14:57 (#72330 - in reply to #71613)
Subject: User friendly? All in the user.

Little Eqypt - Southern Illinois
I have been using allot of the software from the "beginnings" back in the mid 90s. None of it was really user friendly per say, you always had to jump through hoops to do anything. Things are light years better now than back then. You had to have 3-5 different software's to do what you wanted or needed and none could talk to each other. Today I still have 3-5 different software's, not because I couldn't use just one, but because I like some of one and some of another.

I like shape files, databases, UTM, raw data, all the data points, all the yield flow information and doing stats with a real stats package. I don't like some "canned" program doing it for me based upon the programmers idea of what my data should look like. Remember all programs are like that, build with the programmers ideas, not the users. They cant build a version just for every farmer out there, well they could, but we couldn't afford it!!!!

The system I have developed for me is in my opinion very user friendly for me, but it is not for my friend down the road who prefers the convenience of a canned program. He approaches his data handling differently than I do. He considers his software choice to be the best and most user friendly one of them all. And while it is a great program that does many things, I don't really care for it to be my "only" software.

No matter what color you use, or what company makes it, remember that there are some standards out there and make sure you can use those standards, both into and out of the software. And by all means, make sure that you get access and get the choice to use all your data that you collect. Some programs don't allow you to use or even collect all the data that you might think.

My .02 worth...

Dirtman

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)