AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm accounting software/programs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 1/2/2023 14:07 (#10017760 - in reply to #9999523)
Subject: RE: Farm accounting software/programs

SE Manitoba
xralan - 12/23/2022 09:33

I'm a big fan of gnucash. However, "easy to use" wouldn't be the first selling point of it. Does take a little time to get it figured out. But, as you are a "young" farmer, might be easy for you. It's an opensource software. Use to use quicken.

Well - - - I started by looking at gnucash and then I went with ledger-cli.

Its a plain text double entry accounting system.
Have been running it for some 6 or 7 years now and chose it because its so flexible and I am not held hostage by anyone to get access to old data.

I like granularity so I use 10 digit account numbers (xxxx.xx.xx.xx if you're interested).
Started with the gifi codes (General Index of Financial Information) and started adding sub-headings.
I carry along a document where all the codes are listed.
When I started with the 4 digit GIFI codes it was an 8 page document - - - - I'm now playing with an over 50 page document - - - really not sure how many actual code numbers but lots.
To get something comparable in say simply or sage - - - - it was going to cost me lots of $1000s per year.
I don't have a nice GUI system - - - but I can use copy and paste and get a fair amount done quickly - - - but then I learnt how to type with all 10 fingers a very long time ago.

https://www.ledger-cli.org

What's missing is invoicing and any kind of AP/AR system.
Have been looking into ledger-smb (https://ledgersmb.org) but haven't switched yet.

(I run a 100% linux shop here - - - and cant stand paying for poor quality software when decent to good stuff is available for a lot less. (Yes I know linux isn't perfect - - - but that's a different argument and for a different time!))

HTH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)