AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Couple Harvest Photos
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Big Ben
Posted 8/11/2022 11:55 (#9791568 - in reply to #9791311)
Subject: RE: Couple Harvest Photos

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
ihmanky - 8/11/2022 07:23

Forgive my ignorance but always wondered about the older hillside machines and now the same on the newer ones... is there a safety of some sort on the leveling cylinders?  What I'm getting at is if you're running on a fairly steep (steep for you guys) sidehill with a nearly full hopper and blow a hose to a leveling cylinder or some other failure, is there something that keeps it from leaning to the downhill side at a rapid rate?  Seems to me with a full tank that could be enough momentum to turn one over in that instance. 

No, they go where gravity takes them in the event of a component failure.

Related story: a local salesman was a service tech for IH when the 1470 combines were new. They had some kind of glitch in the leveling system that would occasionally cause them to tip all the way one direction, which apparently could get really interesting when they went the wrong direction on a steep hillside. A lot were still under warranty, so it fell on the dealer techs to remedy the situation. More than a couple times he had to go out and climb in to the cab of a combine tipped all the way downhill to get it fired up and tipped back level before the effects of no oil pressure in the engine became problematic. Then he fixed the leveling control, of course.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)