AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Foster parents
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 6/27/2022 10:40 (#9723503 - in reply to #9723319)
Subject: RE: Foster parents

Faunsdale, AL
There’s lots of reasons for being foster parents and the result is the same……..safe supportive home for kids that need one.

As odd as it seems to me, there is frequently a subset of the social workers at a typical DHR office that have the same opinion as David and actively discriminate and stymie foster parents that want to adopt.

They seem to be able to ignore the statistics proving that some kids are going to need a new permanent family. Lots……probably the great majority……..don’t. For those kids, foster care is short term, but some kids’ family just don’t care or care enough to make the sometimes very “uphill” slog to getting their lives turned around.

As I said in my first post, those social workers and officials seem to prefer the relationship between foster parents and the “system” to be strictly transactional $. Unfortunately, if the kids’ family craps out, when the kid has been moved from home to home every few months, a pattern of failure to attach can be ingrained.

I think it’s better for children to have stability and form strong attachments to foster parents even when they’re probably going to go back to their family. It seems that children who are allowed to form strong attachments are not harmed when that is disrupted and they can move on to family or other permanent situation. They can do it again and life goes well. The ones that aren’t allowed to attach are at risk for loosing that ability.

In a stable foster home that “invests” themselves in a child so much that adoption is an option, if the child’s family never gets it together, the kid has a good situation with strong support whether that results in adoption or foster care until age 18 and a continuing relationship afterwards. I know that type of stability isn’t always available for every kid, but I think it should be a goal, not something to be avoided.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)