AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

80 Foot Sprayer and Headlands
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

EmpireBuilder
Posted 6/23/2022 23:41 (#9718538)
Subject: 80 Foot Sprayer and Headlands

I had a question for those with an 80 foot sprayer and a 16 row planter. Is an 80 foot headland enough to turn an 80 foot sprayer around on safely? In the past I have planted 90 feet and sprayed 90 feet(12 row planter). I have also planted 120 and sprayed 120(16 row planter and 120 sprayer). Both of these have worked really well; spraying 3 planter passes. It doesn't get any better than that. I don't want to end up with something that just doesn't work well. I tried to simulate how it would work with an 80 foot sprayer on 120' headland today. By the time I would shut off the boom, my front tractor tires were already more than 40 feet into the headlands. If I really cranked the tractor around I could keep the sprayer wheels from going as far into the headlands as the tractor( and the boom out of where the fence would be). But there is almost no time to waste.

With a 90 foot headland and sprayer you need to keep the center of the sprayer from going over 45 feet into the headlands during your turn. With an 80 foot headland and sprayer you need to keep the center of the sprayer from going over 40 feet into the headlands during your turn. Is this 5 foot difference the straw that breaks to camels back so to speak? A tractor and sprayer has to be at least so long. I am using a different sprayer and tractor at the moment that is likely a bit longer(2 or 3 feet?) than my previous one. Maybe this is why it seams like it won't work. Every foot may matter here and a slightly shorter tractor and sprayer may work out. I should have this again next year.

I am guessing most people just put on more end rows and spray 2 times on each headland? Or does 80 and 80 work better than I think it will? I just read an old post where one guy talked about starting his turn before he shut off the boom. I just feel that 2 passes on each headland with the sprayer will kill my efficiency and run down more crop with extra turning around. I know that an extra 15 minutes an 80 isn't the worst thing in the world, but it may be the difference in getting an extra field done each day. I don't have enough time off this time of year as it is; so I try to make things as efficient as I can where I reasonably can.

Thanks for the input if anyone has some.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)