AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My Winter Project Pics - Homemade Self-Propelled Sprayer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jstroh
Posted 6/12/2009 14:20 (#742708 - in reply to #742637)
Subject: RE: My Winter Project Pics - Homemade Self-Propelled Sprayer

SCNE
The main thing I would do differently is be more selective about the machine I would use. I would still use a Gleaner since they have a good frame even after removing all the threshing parts, but I would find one that had been better cared for with a good cab interior, wiring, and a good strong hydro. I was surprised by how much work cleaning and repairing interior cab parts took, not to mention sorting out and repairing wiring. If you don't find one with a strong hydro or a recent rebuild, just plan on replacing it with a rebuild. In my first 500 acres of spraying I could tell that the hydro was weak and it was only a matter of time and well. . . it was. I shelled it out, but a call to Abilene Machine and I was up and going in 2 days with a rebuild and what a difference it made. Total cost on the machine only, including the rebuilt hydro but no GPS equipment, was about $27K. The new tires and rims cost me slightly more than I gave for the combine to start, and the used boom doubled my project cost from there. Maybe it is not fair not to include the GPS equipment, but I move it from tractor to sprayer to combine so I spread that cost out. I looked at used sprayers before deciding on the project and decided there isn't much machine left when a commercial gets done with them, especially if it's priced under $50K. Plus the hydro and drive motor are piggyback on an old Gleaner and fairly common and simple to replace. I replaced the whole thing for about what a wheel motor alone would cost on a storebought model. It was a whole winter's work, but I am pleased with the result. I also wouldn't try to save much during the teardown. I started out trying to be careful and save as much as possible, thinking I could sell parts. There isn't much demand for used parts from a machine that old and it slows down the teardown process greatly. Torch and plasma cutter should be the main disassembly tools.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)