AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

planter monitor headaches
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

trmbldealer
Posted 6/11/2009 15:11 (#741376 - in reply to #741129)
Subject: Re: planter monitor headaches

I am a kinze dealer have had over 15yrs experience. There are 2 different systems being talked about in the thread above. The first on the 2600 except for some of the late 99' planters had the km3000 monitor/dickey john. What i have found on these monitors over the years is that the problem of losing rows is almost always a harness problem. This monitor looks for the rows when you power it up. The problem is in the harness connections most of the time. I take the harness connections apart and spray them with wd-40 to eat the green croosion off then clean it off with electrical contact cleaner. You can test sections of the harness by un plugging harness sections at a time and plugging in the monitor, saves a lot of testing with a multimeter. Also the sensors after a lot of use will get to the point will they wont count all of the seed. The lense turns completly white insted of clear making it hard to see the seed espically in beans (my opinion on the sensors). Now later planters with kpm 2 or 3 are a kinze built monitor (vansco electronics) these use a digital signal much faster espically in beans. Have also seen very few problems with the actual monitor. Early ones (kpm 2) need to have the internal fuse replaced with an external by ag express. Have had some issues with seed tube sensors, as these are like a mini computer themselves with chips inside the sensor. Most of the time problems with these systems can be remedy by reprogramming the planter or reflashing firmware. I have more self inflicked problems with these monitors than anything. If all a person needs is just a basic planter monitor that tells population and area this is a very good unit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)