AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Truck laws.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MNRyeGrower
Posted 6/10/2009 12:33 (#739782 - in reply to #739350)
Subject: Re: Truck laws.

Central MN
I've had a bit of an experience with this myself here in MN. Bottom line is if the combined vehicle weight RATING is over 26,000 lbs then you need the CDL. I called the DOT people in St. Paul and read the regs with them LINE by LINE and thats the law. Does not matter if its farm or not. Over 10,000 lbs and commercial you need the DOT number but not the CDL. Over 10,000 lbs and farm AND within a 200 mile radius (or maybe 150, not sure) you do not need the DOT #. If you pass over state line you need the DOT number regardless if you are Farm or not. If you are beyond the radius then you need the DOT #. If you are transporting commercial or are farm outside stateline or outside the radius you need the DOT #, a health card and a log book.

So, a 1 ton hauling horses over 200 miles away and you will need the Truck and Trailer DOT inspected with your DOT # and you will need to have a health card and a log book in the truck and follow DOT rules (ie carry flares, fire ext etc etc etc).

I know its kind of a pain but in reality, there has been far to many people hauling all maner of crap down the roads lately and I don't mind them making things safer. DOT inspection ensures heavier vehicles with proper brakes, tires and handeling abilities as well as educated drivers are on the roads.

To answer your question directly. The ABSOLUTE statement that ANY vehicle over 10,000 rating is commercial is NOT correct IF you use it for FARM only and stay within state lines and do not go more than the 150 or 200 mile radius. Its not very tough to get the DOT # and then bring your truck into any truck repair place that does work on commercial vehicles and get an annual inspection. They put the little sticker with your DOT# on your windshield and away ya go! Plus, a State Troper will pay you a visit and go over all the rules with you personally when you get a DOT# . They call this visit an "Audit" but its just a visit where he sits down with you and goes over everything so you know the rules.

Bottom line, DO IT. Why not do it? If you got in an accident and had all the DOT inspections up to date then it would greatly reduce your liability since you have proof that you were making all atempts to maintain safe equipment and follow heavy vehicle regulations.

Edited by MNRyeGrower 6/10/2009 12:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)