AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

60 years an still doing its job
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

johns_79
Posted 6/10/2009 13:13 (#739842 - in reply to #739316)
Subject: Re: 60 years an still doing its job

Windom, MN
The oldest tractor we have is a 1958 IH 460. We have a loader on it, and it's pretty much retired to rock picking and occasional auger work (we have electric motors for most augers, and it won't run our big one). But that tractor just keeps running, Grandpa bought it brand new, and hated it. Not enough power, but yet he kept that one over the 400 that he loved when he bought the 1066 back in the 70's.

I never saw the 460 do more than grind feed or haul manure, but now we're done with hogs. I guess before I was born it had a narrow front end on it. Used to pull the planter, a cultivator, and had a mounted corn picker for it as well. We also mounted a bean rider on the front until Pursuit came along. The tach never worked, and it says 4,780 hours, but I know it has way more than that now. Wish I had a picture, it looks like crap, there's no grille anymore (got knocked out while trying to save cattle at the neighbors when his barn went down) been rolled over, so there's dents in the sheet metal from the previous loader being bent. It hasn't been overhauled since the 1970's and never in the shop since then until last year when the hydraulic pump went out. It's been a good tractor, but there just isn't much it can do anymore as we only do row crop work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)