AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

60 years an still doing its job
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 6/10/2009 11:54 (#739717 - in reply to #739702)
Subject: RE: Wide Front?

I put a wide front on it in 94 from a salvage yard.

I had a scary encounter pushing a flat wagon with bags of seed corn on it up in to the bank barn pictured above. Before there was a cement apron there it was a small jump up to the barn floor. I was using the front hitch on the S 77 to push it with. Well the back wheels hit that jump up but did not go in. Wagon came forward, jackknifed the wagon tongue and pushed the narrow front end sideways to the edge of the bank and there I sat ready to go over the edge of the bank holding everything with just the brakes.

No hope of pushing it back up the hill so I got the front wheels turned and  shifted into 1R and reversed quickly towards the center of the bank and down the hill as quick as possible.

Never did that again and started looking for a wide front ASAP.

I miss the narrow front and how you could get in tight places and push wagons in with the front hitch and short turning radius but it's a whole lot more stable now even though it takes a bunch of space to get turned with the axle out in front like that. The axle configuration sort of screwed up my front hitch plate anyhow as the axle tube is too far forward. It makes a dandy mount for the front light though.

(Oliver wide.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Oliver wide.JPG (46KB - 55 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)