AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time for a new 4 wheeler, lets hear opinions please.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rich
Posted 6/9/2009 19:40 (#738638 - in reply to #738589)
Subject: That Honday is ok.......but not great.

Kansas
My boy purchased his grandmothers used grizzly yamaha from her this past winter. It's a 96 or 97 model if memory serves me correctly. More than 10 years older than mine. His is not only faster and can outrun me but his has more pulling power.

Honda should of kicked it up a notch with the rear end in that Rincon and then put a hi lo shifter in it. It used to do 63 when I first got it. Nothing over 59 now. ( I don't even want to hear the damn sermons about speed and atv's. If you want to drive like a geriatric then do it). Then, when pulling the panel trailer with it the other day, it labored to really get going to pull that trailer.

It's to high strung to pull and it don't have enough to get speed. It gets the speed fast. I whooped the old man in his Yamaha rhino on take off and top end but that isn't comparing apples to apples.

I use the old Kaw 300 now in low to do any pulling. At least I have one thing still reliable.

Startability? Good. The thing does have an issue or two now. Local guy told me it's the throttle position sensor not adusted right. I don't know. I have to take it in for some warranty work so they can tell me then but there are times you hop on and put it in gear and hit the throttle and it just dies. Then, when you got to brake hard with both handles it makes some sort of a grinding noise.

Also the other day I went and put it in forward drive position, hit the throttle and nothing. Just the motor speeded up. Pulled it back out, shoved it back in, then it worked. Then another time it acted like a variable speed pulley and finally started going.

I think those are probably minor issues that can be corrected but if I was going to spend the money again it damn sure would NOT be that honda. I am done with them. I would not even consider a polaris from another fellow Nat'r hearing what all goes out on them and then watching how piss poor they performed at the mud bog this last weekend.

Also, serious mud issues, if you try to plow much at all, you plug the rad. I had the red light go on and it took forever for that thing to cool down.

It's piss poor for accessibility to power wash it. The boys yamaha is so open and easy to get to everything I could clean it up spotless. I get done and go to look the rincon all over and there are so many places I couldn't get the wand into so I could clean the mud completely out of it.

I wish I would of listened to that Ranch Rodeo of SF's outcome a lil better. The honda rated poorly in it and I see why now.

No, it's not junk. They are decent. As I said, I'd never drop that kind of dime into another one again.

And those worthless piss poor radial tires they put on them. I absolutely hate them. I gave up with thier recommended psi and I filled them with air like I used to do the old ones on the other atv's.

I will give it credit it rides alot better than the old Kaws with the independant rear suspension and I really like that about it. I like how the dash and controls are laid out too.

It's a lil like a chevy pickup.........made perty with a lil speed and good acceleration for the goof off weekend type but on the farm.....Not my number 1 choice again. If I had to do it again, I'd go with a yamaha. I like the Kaws but like someone else said, i don't think they are keeping up with the times and last I knew they still had that drive belt.

Run around and check crops, get a "LIL MUDDY" and push a lil snow.......It might serve you just fine. For me, I must be dang particular but then again, when you drop 8 grand into a quad........I expect that damn thing to say "I love you" every time I get off of it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)