AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Land roller on emerged soybeans????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tony2tall
Posted 6/3/2009 20:10 (#731825 - in reply to #731797)
Subject: Re: Land roller on emerged soybeans????

North East Arkansas
JonND - 6/3/2009 18:33

Here we are fighting just to get crop in, wet conditions, and it is a time issue with planting, we need to loosen the ground to get a seed bed, not firm prior to planting. By rolling after planting it is the last trip over the field, except for spraying, until harvest. You can set the cutter bar closer to the ground without having to worry about root balls sticking to the guards or rocks getting picked up by cutter bar. Some growers are claiming better emergence of the soybeans because of improved seed to soil contact, won't claim that but a neighbor who rented my last year thought he saw a difference where he rolled and where he did not.

They have become very popular here the last couple years, colleges don't know what to think and are starting to do massive studies. All I know from personal experience is that I do not want to harvest soybean again without having rolled them after planting.
ry

Try this after planting. Drive your pickup at angle across the planted seed bed. Then watch the seeds emerge first in the tire tracks!
Have seen it done to many times to question otherwise.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)