AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Purchase of a Digital Camcorder
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

chuckster
Posted 11/27/2006 13:47 (#66116 - in reply to #65857)
Subject: Re: Purchase of a Digital Camcorder

Where Lewis and Clark finished the rum
While I don't have direct experience with the DVD or HD models, I do have a little experience with a Kodak Digital Science camera and solid state vs microdrive writing in a vibrating machine (airplane). We often had writing problems with the microdrives just because of vibration.

If you are just going to be using it handheld and do kids/grandkids/sports/outdoors etc either should be fine, but if you are going to attach it to something that moves, vibrates, gets hit etc, you might have to do some more research, about the write capability of the HD and DVD models.

I have an "old" Sony TRV-27? that writes to miniDV tape. With a little software, those tapes can be put onto a DVD or VHS or whatever. I've recorded in all sorts of conditions and had good luck. The camera has a "component" out cable that allows me to hook directly to anything with RCA plug inputs - TV, DVD, VHS, DVR, PC etc and use the camera as a VHS player directly.

Our Science Club also has a little solid state - $70 digital video recorder that we put on our robots. We call it "crash-cam" and it has never lost a beat, although it has been exposed to significant G's when for example two 120 lb robots moving at 20 mph each headon each other.

A unit that I am looking at is a Sanyo high def solid state unit. It uses SD cards and writes MPEG4 directly. 10x optical and 10x digital zoom, and ??5 megapixel ccd, so decent quality. Haven't made that leap yet though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)