AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Safety-throw away your old wood blocks (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/24/2009 07:13 (#721444 - in reply to #721252)
Subject: Speaking of blocks

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I saw in a farm magzine or somewhere where a fellow described how he made light duty blocking that interlocked to prevent tipping.

This type of blocking would not be suitable for heavy duty jobs such as the combine project but has merit for lighter situations.

I forget the dimensions but he basically cut 2x4's to a certain length and then screwed them together with other 2x4's for the cross pieces. It's hard to describe but by using the measurements that were provided, the finished block had a gap in it.

He made several of these and by stacking them on top of each other alternating 90 degrees on each level, the blocks interlocked to form a stable platform. He could stack several of these together to achieve the height needed for the job.

This combine incident reminds me of one of my own. I had a 7720 combine some years ago. A neighbor came over to help me work on the top shaft of the feederhouse. We decided it would be easier if the left drive wheel were removed.

We jacked up the combine with my newly purchased hydraulic jack, removed the drive wheel and rolled it back out of the way. It was resting against the return elevator on the left side of the combine. Being in a hurry, we did not block up the axle - it was only supported by the jack.

While we were standing back discussing our next step, the combine rolled slightly and came down off of the jack. Fortunately we were not hurt but when the combine came down, the return elevator was bent since the wheel was under it. I got a used return elevator but the grain tank had been distorted also and was really never quite right after the incident.

I have been much more careful in jacking situations since. Block and then block some more.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)