AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

renting out land
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Oliver1
Posted 10/19/2007 13:51 (#222879 - in reply to #222768)
Subject: RE: renting out land

Alton, Ia
I don't get it. Land around here has gotten so competitive, if soembody called me up and said "Hey, here's 280 acres for you", I'd be so happy to get it I'd agree to about any special requests. (Although I'd probably draw the line at wearing hawkeye apparel while farming it :) ) Maybe I am misreading, but if he rented to the guy, and the renter hasn't honored his verbal requests re: waterways, tillage, etc., then why not find somebody else??

Your Dad is doing the right thing, put all the expectations in writing. Whatever they may be. It takes time, but in the long run it's worth it.

Expectations I would include:
Soil tests/fertility- Need to maintain or improve. Who pays for nutrients removed via cornstalk bales? Cost it out, make a decision, write it down.
Ph/liming-
Crop Yields- Remember the 2002 farm bill?? Needed to have production history to set base, make sure your Dad gets these, or has legal rights to them in future.
Tillage- If you want no-till/min till/ whatever, write it down.
Manure- Timing of application? If it's a lot, should have a clause in there about soil moisture and minimizing compaction, etc. (Doesn't sound like it here).
Who pays for manure application? Manure has value, who gets the benefit? If this is multi-year, be careful overcommitting in case your Dad decides enough livestock and quits those ventures.
Timing of rent payments-

Good luck.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)