AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Should I keep this ewe or cull her??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Rufframs
Posted 3/22/2011 13:00 (#1683481 - in reply to #1683267)
Subject: Re: Should I keep this ewe or cull her??

You don't say what her BCS is; too fat or too skinny predisposes the ewe to pregnancy toxemia. Based on the fact that you say she had really big twins and that she's two weeks out gives me the idea that maybe you should look at your nutrition program. Maybe get a copy of the sheep nutrition tables and use them as an overall ewe management feeding guide.
Based on her recovery, I'm guessing that the vet gave her dexamethasone and hence the abortion, although the stress of PT could have caused it.
Will she get PT again? Who knows, refer to the first paragraph. Should you keep her? Well, she adopted a lamb, that's a big plus in my book. Myself, I wouldn't be too quick with the trailermycin, but I would call this the first strike (or two). Right now, she's saving you a $40+ bag of milk replacer though and the chore of dealing with a bummer.
Final thought, is the vet sure it was PT, i.e., did he check for ketones, and can he(or she) rule out the fact that maybe the lambs were already dead and causing the ewe's condition? You may want to consider that, perhaps there is an abortion germ present, especially considering the first lambs that you had posted about earlier.
Hang in there, you're have these bumps in the road.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)