AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Value of Rye Cover With Soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

easymoney
Posted 1/26/2024 06:35 (#10593792 - in reply to #10593633)
Subject: RE: Value of Rye Cover With Soybeans

ecmn
Jke - 1/25/2024 22:42

Full disclosure. I think covers are a waste unless it’s for erosion control or livestock feed.

Anything else is a waste.

Fairly large study came out not to long ago that basically said all things equal covers lose you money.

Did this " Fairly large study" Happen to be by precision? Pfft that was very predictable dead dirt guys attempt at covers. Zero talk about soil.

Any study that used yield as the determining factor for cover crops was pure ignorance. They need to look at how soil functions and how the soil improved. Did we increase water infiltration, carbon To nitrogen ratio, biology, Did we increase fertility into the soil. Did we reduce our inputs. Are we able to get on the field sooner in the spring or more quickly after a big rain event in the summer, less mud in the fall.

Bottom line a successful long-term cover crop soil health field
Like Dave will greatly out cash flow the current system.

To belittle erosion is very typical for us. Because nobody has taught us how much of our dollars are blowing away. Go look at how little bit of dust it takes to lose a ton to the acre of soil in a year. And then in that one ton of soil how much nutrients you just lost.

Like I said before. I reduced tillage and added cover crops to a field and did not have to buy phosphorus, but yet the phosphorus levels stayed the same after nine years. Wouldn't that be a win for cover crops?

Kind of hard for University to show studies on how cover crops can pretty much replace. Every reason that you are going to the local retailer for when they're funded by the big companies that supply your local retailer.

Here is the great thing, If you don't like covers don't do it. But stop spreading bad information.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)