AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Confusion with EZ-Guide 500/Autopilot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/11/2007 09:42 (#235701)
Subject: Confusion with EZ-Guide 500/Autopilot

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have a Deere 8120 running with a Trimble 332 and Autopilot. The steering interface is an Insight.

I also run a Deere 8310 running with an EZ-Guide 500 using WAAS and an Autopilot. I have not spent alot of time in the 8310 since the Autopilot install.

This last week I had an opportunity to run the 8120 with the 2700 ripper and then later in the week, I switched to the 8310 with the same implement. The 8310 had been on the moldboard plow earlier in the week.

The comparioson was interesting since the tractors are very similar and the implement was the same.

I really do prefer the Insight interface to the EZ-Guide 500 but that is not really a fair comparison due to experience and cost. The EZ-Guide 500 is probably a bit easier to use if a Nudge is necessary.

I have used the Remark A feature on the Insight with good success. This worked but did not seem to do what I expected with the EZ-Guide 500. The EZ-Guide 500 prompted me with various choices of whether to save the Remarked AB line or not. I may have been confused but the next pass seemed to revert to the original AB line even though I chose to Save the Remarked AB Line.

One inconsistency that I noticed with the EZ-Guide 500 in the 8310 was that at first I was not hearing the engage "chirp" that I was accustomed to with the 8120 and Insight. Later I went home for fuel and when I returned to the field I did get the engage/disengage "chirp". This is not a real big deal since looking at the EZ-Guide's steering icon would indicate that I had engaged. It does seem puzzling that this seemed to "work" at times but not others.

When I did hear the "chirp" and the "End of the Row Approaching" message appeared there was the warning "wake up beep". The presence of lack of these sounds seem to go together. Possibly there is some magicial keystroke that I was inadvertently hitting that was turning the sounds ON/OFF.

One of my Coworkers felt that he had some of the same experiences in some limited testing.

One difference between the EZ-Guide 500 and the Insight with the "End of Row Approaching" alarm is that the Insight has an "OK" button that you can touch to silence the alarm temporarily when the end is not near. I don't know if the EZ-Guide 500 has this ability or not. My Coworker thought that one of the Left buttons might temporarily silence the End of Row Approaching alarm but we are not sure.

He also thought some of these alarm situations were also present on the EZ-Guide+.

Those of you using the FMD display: How is the "End of the Row Approaching" situation handled for you? Do you hear an audible Engage/Disengage Chirp?

Edited by tedbear 11/11/2007 09:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)