AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

need help making biscuits
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 3/2/2011 21:22 (#1646732)
Subject: need help making biscuits

SW Ohio
Ok i tried a google look/see and decided to come back here to Nat to get a helping hand.
I want to re-create the biscuits that my late mother used to make..........
I know at one time long long ago she had a recipe, BUT she was one of those cooks that drug(is that a verb?) out a bowl and started throwing things in it unmeasured and it turned out the same every time.
I will start with the finished product, they were not airy light like a Pillsbury tube biscuit, they were dense/heavy but yet somewhat layered and flakey and dry. They were just as good to eat warm as they would be two days later left on the countertop. they would fall apart when cold and not have a layered texture or grain like wood.
Here is what little I can remember about the construction...and bear with me because being in the kitchen meant eating not helping for me!!
I vaguely recall flour mixing, possibly shortening being measured in a cup of water, don't recall any kneading, but do rolling out the dough and folding, final roll was to a thickness of about 1/2 inch and the finished baked product was about 1-1.25 inch thick. I remember a comment about not using baking powder but soda instead, or maybe I have that backwards. She was from Louisiana and would comment that she could not get good baking powder "up north" ( or chicory coffee either, grandma would send us some Community Blend once in a while).
I have read a few recipes on the net and realize that there are many variations of biscuits, even though the ingredients are basic. I am going to make some test batches to see if I can duplicate, but I will need help to tweak them because I know they will not be the same as my fuzzy memory tells me.

So where to start? We had a dairy farm so fresh Jersey milk was always in the fridge, and real butter, Crisco in the cupboard and general purpose flour, can't remember the powder but I picked up some Clabber Girl.
Do I use butter or shortening, or try one of each? Milk or water or both? How hot for how long?
This may well turn into a long endeavor, and remember I am trying to duplicate Mom's biscuits not try your favorite recipe. Also remember that I am NOT at home in the kitchen.

Thanks in advance and I will report back as I go along.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)