AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rotational Grazing - before and after moving the wire (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/14/2010 20:34 (#1199857)
Subject: Rotational Grazing - before and after moving the wire (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

In a post below I posted some pictures of my cows and heifers starting the pasture rotation this year.

Here are a couple pictures of the next change showing the difference in grass after about 80 cow days of grazing. I could have let them graze it down a bit more to maybe 100 cow days but this time of year I don't want to graze the grass too short. I also want to move them through faster so other paddocks don't get ahead of us and over-mature.

Here are a couple pictures. Some of the cows and heifers get to know when I am going to give them some fresh grass and come and wait for me to roll up the aluminum back wire.

Then they file around the end and put their heads down in the fresh grass and clover. This really makes good use of the grass. The cows keep the weeds down and distribute the fertilizer fairly well too. I'll drag this paddock after the rotation to the far end and there will be little manure showing - and avoidance circles - by the next time through in 30 days or so.

April Calves should start growing well on mama's milk. Many of the calves are grazing a bit already themselves.

Jim at Dawn

edit: for reference the second photo is about the same spot as the first but about 2-1/2 days earlier.

Edited by Jim 5/14/2010 20:44

(IMG_0629_grass difference after about 80 cows days grazing in rotation 051210.jpg)

(IMG_0578_1.JPG)

(IMG_0640_some cows and heifers waiting for fresh grass_they know whats coming 051210.jpg)

(IMG_0647_cows and heifers on fresh grass grazing in rotation 051210.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0629_grass difference after about 80 cows days grazing in rotation 051210.jpg (83KB - 154 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0578_1.JPG (80KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0640_some cows and heifers waiting for fresh grass_they know whats coming 051210.jpg (89KB - 147 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0647_cows and heifers on fresh grass grazing in rotation 051210.jpg (75KB - 149 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)