AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Slip Clutch Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

kef
Posted 4/17/2009 20:17 (#683905)
Subject: Slip Clutch Question

central Ohio
I bought an old rock rake at a farm sale last winter and after shearing way too many pins, I decided to rebuild the shear plates and replace the slip clutch. I came to find out that parts for a Shulte WR5 are really hard to come by, so for a replacement I bought a generic 8000+ in-lbs slip clutch like you'd find in a Tisco or Agri-Supply catalog. The slip clutch has a sticker on the male end that says "implement side only" and the other side has a female shaft fitting. To make it fit my rock rake without major modification, I'll have to connect it with the "implement side only" pointed toward the tractor.

I could just use it pointed the wrong direction and see what happened before doing anything to correct the problem...
Or I could go ahead and modify the drive shaft on both ends to incorporate the slip-clutch the way it was intended to be used, though it'll be a pain and it creates two more potential weak points in the drive shaft.

What will happen if its pointed the wrong direction? Will it not slip enough? or will it slip too much? Has anyone had a similar problem?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)