AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mr. 7150
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Posted 4/15/2009 22:08 (#681846 - in reply to #681058)
Subject: Re: Mr. 7150

Had a birthday party this evening. Just got in !

It helps knowin' there's a lot of guys out there in support of what I was tryin' to express. It's an extremely tough issue to quantify, almost impossible, as the thread demonstrated. I think that's why so many get frustrated and resort to emotionalism while others are demanding facts and evidence. This subject does not lend itself well to such burdens of proof. I used a very poor analogy in the heat of the thread last night, but it was all I could come up with at the time. I'm still thinkin' on this thing just as I'm sure a lot of people are. Perhaps someone will be able to put this thing in an obvious light for most to see. I'm sure some of the guys arguing the other side knew EXACTLY what I was tryin' to get at but were stuck on the other side of the fence. I truly don't feel anyone cares what size a farmer is so much as the road he traveled to get there.

I think for a lot of us, a very large operation is impressive IF the farmer(s) that wear(s) it are equally impressive in motivation, OR they can be a magnet for the ill will of a community. I tend to gauge a farmer by how well their neighbors speak of them. Is this unfair ?

Also just as impressive, is the farmer that CHOOSES to remain small because HIS style of management grants him success on this scale.

And, how about the farmer that would enjoy the opportunity to expand, but didn't because the hardship caused to others would not fit well with his/her values. I know many would call this person foolish because "somebody's gonna take it, may as well be me".

Lastly, you have the farmer that everything just seems to fall in their lap. They're friends with everyone, they'll help anyone and things just always work out. This is the one I'd like to try !

Sorry, I'll get off my rant.

I kinda thought a boat might be involved somewhere Don. Larry, hope we see you and your pretty wife again sometime around the Progress Show this summer. You, Don and Paul give this thing some more thought and watch my back on the next go-round. I need all the help I can get.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)