AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steiger Info
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 4/15/2009 19:00 (#681566 - in reply to #680301)
Subject: RE: Steiger Info

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
steigerpower - 4/15/2009 23:01

On the high range not holding--

I'm pretty sure the ST-310 is a 20 spd like my series 4 tractors, the inside range lever is the transmission range, the outside range lever is the transfer case.  The transfer case range lever and linkage do not provide enough travel to fully shift from one detent to another after things get worn out.  On my tractors, you have to get under the tractor and manually push or pull on the transfer case shift rod to be sure you have it locked in gear.  You should be able to "feel" the detent ball lock in.  If you can't feel it lock in to place, you may need to work on the detent ball/spring. 

If worn linkage not moving the range lever on the trans far enough to fall into the detent is the problem, maybe a trick I used on some of my "experienced" stuff might help.

I had problems with worn linkage not moving the lever on the hydro pump of my two 30 year old 1480 combines and the range shift of a 3788 tractor far enough to get full travel. My fix was to drill a new linkage pin hole inboard of the original on the lever, in effect making the lever shorter. It seems I remember it being about 3/8-1/2 inch from the original hole. In both cases, the shorter travel of the shortned lever more than compensated for all slop in the levers and linkage. Worked for me, quick and cheap.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)