AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

664 Rogator Good and Bad issues
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

flyinfarmer
Posted 4/14/2009 07:20 (#679750 - in reply to #679478)
Subject: RE: 664 Rogator Good and Bad issues

NE Iowa
Answer probably depends on how much you intend to use it. We replaced a tractor mounted 3-pt sprayer with a 664 several years ago, and it has been a good deal for us. We only have 500 acres, and will go over 1/2 those acres 3 times and 1/2 those acres twice, at a minimum. Reason we got one was time (Dad is semi-retired and I work full time off the farm) and sometimes less than reliable service from custom guys (lost 1/2 a bean crop several years ago due to aphids because the planes decided to head to different part of the state for 3-4 days). Machine also allows us to sidedress 32% onto corn ground much later in the season.

We have a mechanic close by that has worked on them for years, so use him for annual checkups to get stuff fixed before they get to be big problems - nothing too serious, so far.

The downsides to the unit are that I will have a fair percentage of what I paid for the unit in repairing/replacing a wheel motor if one decides to crap out, and the booms of that era aren't the greatest - the pivots where the wings meet the machine get pretty sloppy. There are 2 different boom styles - I was told a person wants the type that the boom hangs on vertical bars, not the type that there is a big wheel bearing the whole boom pivots on.

Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)