AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 608 stalk shredding corn head.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

BiggieDubbs
Posted 4/13/2009 19:31 (#679142 - in reply to #679033)
Subject: Re: JD 608 stalk shredding corn head.

East of the Rockies West of the rest
We ran a 12 row this year on our 9760. Best head I ever seen. Well maybe not. But never had a stitch of trouble with it. Well maybe not.

Centre of auger had to be reinforced (a update from deere, just had to weld in a gusset)
Corn snouts can get pricey, their adjusters break if snout hits under ice or burries into dirt, adjusters can be pricey we replaced 3 or 4
Low maintenance. Greased twice the gearboxes. A bit of a greasing and look around once in a while and shes was good.
Chains never had to be tightened too much, I think I did it twice but was splitting hairs if I really needed to.
Changed choppers at about 600 (flipped over) then changed at 2000. Somewhat debate if we had to but noticed power loss.
The head does take power
The other thing Im not too keen on is it does seem to freeze up over night. Now with a 9870 it might budge it loose but with the 9760 we had to drop one side (shaft) and start it up then put other side on and free it up til it would go. Noticed at back of stalk roll it would freeze crap in there and stalk roll wouldnt turn.

Now all of this was done in -20 degree weather then 5 degree then freeze then rain then freezing rain then warm then freeze. We couldnt have thrown worse conditions at this machine and she faired well. From Decemeber to first week in March.

Had a first version 893 chopping head what a junker. But the 600 what an amazing job it does, neighbours are all very impressed as I am. Leaves a bit of a mat but rots down good and smooth as butter. No tangly stalk crap.

Any other questions?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)