AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oil in antifreeze? 855
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

J.L.
Posted 4/11/2009 23:18 (#677326 - in reply to #677149)
Subject: RE: Oil in antifreeze? 855

Iowa
Well here is my experience and it wasn't a good one. I've got a big cam 1 in a series 3 steiger that gave me some fits. Last fall I started disk ripping and checked the oil which it was right at the full mark-four hours later without warning(no overheat,good oil pressure,and nothing sliming the hood or windshield) it lost oil pressure and pulling the diskripper wide open produced an engine knock almost instantly. The oil cooler element failed and pumped all 10 gallon of oil in the cooling system pushing the oil out the overflow pipe and dribbleing it on the ground underneath the hood where I couldn't see it. So I tore it down and took the oil cooler element to Cummins and had them pressure check it and as expected it leaked. Then I spent most of last winter pulling the engine and putting a crank in it along with a lot of other parts. Chances are a guy is more likely not to catch it in a tractor where you get in and run for 8 hrs. straight wide open so its going to pump oil just as fast as it can but still consider yourself lucky you caught it. I would guess that is oil in yours. The crap in my cooling system looked milky and goey almost puss-like. The stuff settled around the liners and just made one hell of a mess. I had the block boiled since I figure it was as good as time as any to cut counterbores and start putting new parts in since I plan on keeping the tractor but I still had the crap in the radiator. I flushed it out as good as I could w/water then used a fleetguard product that I believe was called "Restore" to flush the entire system once the engine was back in and running. I thought the fleetgaurd stuff did a hell of a good job. The oil cooler element was a little pricey from cummins and it came in a kit w/the o-rings and gaskets. If you determine it is oil and you tear the cooler apart I would have it pressure checked just for peace of mind. The service manual says you can solder(it is a bunch of little copper tubes) the leaky spot if you want but I just went ahead and bought a new one. Sorry for the long post-Good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)