AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wireless rain gauges
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 3/30/2009 11:31 (#662173 - in reply to #661845)
Subject: Re: wireless rain gauges

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

I had a unit like the one in the picture, still have it.  Moved, and haven't hooked it up yet, only been 9 years at this house, give me some more time.

I didn't like it wireless, outside batteries kept going out, especially in winter.  I ran a wire to the sender, much more reliable, got rid of the battery outside problem.  worst problem was winter, cold weather would konk out a battery quickly.

I did like the unit, was fun watching the tenths of rain clicking over when it was raining hard.  Watch the tube running to the tipping buckets, mine got plugged with spider webs several times each summer, had to run Q-tips through it often to keep it cleared out.  Used to mount it high, got tired of climbing to clean out the hole, and mounted it on top of a fence post, much easier to maintain.

When we moved, there was a unit that transmitted live over the Internet only 4 blocks from my house.  I just use that unit to track now.  Only problem with that is it goes to zero at midnight, so I never know for sure how much it rained overnight unless I see it before midnight and add it to the morning number.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)