AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Case 1070 - Good Bad or Ugly?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MNRyeGrower
Posted 3/26/2009 14:57 (#657563 - in reply to #654596)
Subject: Re: Case 1070 - Good Bad or Ugly?

Central MN
Chad, Not sure about exactly how one can determine the heavier ones from the lighter ones. I haven't been able to see it based on any codes in the model (ie 1170). But, if you start paying close attention you can notice slight differences. Heavier drawbars, three points and front axles. Maybe the tires in front might be a bit bigger too. I have also heard people say to look at the front grill. Some are fiberglass and some are solid cast iron. They look almost identical from a distance but one knock with your knuckles tells the diff. What I have heard is to stay away from models with fiberglass grill. No idea "EXACTLY" why.

Sorry to be so vague but when I ask the dealer about the diff they can't even give me a straight answer. All I know is every time I order a part (ie new front bearings), the give me the lighter set, then I have to go back and they say "Ohhh, you must have the heavy duty model". Yea, thanks for asking that FIRST.

Knowing what I know now, I would NOT buy a powershift one no matter what. If it had a standard trans I would be much more likely to consider it if the price was right (ie less than $6000).

Our trans is a 4 speed with a MANUAL high/low range. so it has 8 forward and 2 reverse. Shifts kinda tough and its not great for changing speeds "on-the-fly" while in the field etc.

I still really like the ol' girl even though she's a bit rough and kinda clumsy. We have dropped 6000 in the engine, new brakes and done some repainting etc. Purrs like a kitten and the turbo sings pretty sweet. And, she fires up on the first revolution.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)