AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Case 1070 - Good Bad or Ugly?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Larry in AB
Posted 3/23/2009 09:11 (#653497 - in reply to #653367)
Subject: Re: Case 1070 - Good Bad or Ugly?

Alberta, Canada
THe 1070/970's were a pretty good tractor. As mentioned you could have powershift and rear end issues depending on use, operators and the more hp they had (1170, 1270, 1370 etc) more trans problems. Around here there are still lots of 1070's around pulling round balers and such with over 10,000 hrs on them. THe engines as far as I know were not known to be weak. Maybe not as solid as the JD or IH of its time but we had pretty good luck with our old 970. I think I overhauled it at 7500hrs due to the oil use. The oil rings were all carboned up.

Like anything if its been "used up" you may want to avoid it. The engine is pretty cheap to overhaul and the powershift is easy to work on, however can be expensive if you need gears and shafts and such. The pto clutch comes out the back of the tractor which is also easy to work on. I've had the powershift out on my old 970 to reseal stuff in there and all the parts looked fine along with the clutches etc. after 30 some years of use. Ours has done mostly haying work for the majority of its life not a lot of pulling.

Edited by Larry in AB 3/23/2009 09:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)