AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time for a semi?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 11/5/2006 15:31 (#58292 - in reply to #58275)
Subject: Re: Time for a semi?

Aberdeen MS
I'll agree with the "taken at an angle, surprising how small a culvert one can get across". My Pete 377 with a 63" flat top and 40' Husker with an 18" pin is a bit long for farm purposes. Bumper to bumper is right at 63', with the 5th wheel set for carrying 12,000 up front to axles 80K.

There isn't one approach on my place that I won't take during the day. At night however, there are only 6 that I will use after dark, the rest are just too close for comfort having sometimes 8-10" on each side to spare. I missed judged one one evening a few years back at night and popped the huck rivets on the rear cross support for the tandems. That was a day off of harvest. Luckily they didn't have to "tie it down" and pull all back into alignment.

In the above situation, I would opt for a 36' trailer with a shorter tractor, just for the simple fact of "getting used" to rig and the approach issues. It will still be a good step up from tractor and wagons. Older cabovers can be had very reasonable, and spend the left of the proposed money on the trailer.

If one has to skimp, the trailer is not the place to do it.

edited to add: In 2000 I found my '88 Pete 377 with like new rubber, one new front alum rim, 80K on an inframe and 80K on the reman rear rearend. 3406B 400 HP, 13 over with 3.55's for $13,000. But that was after looking for 2 1/2 months. With that set up, I can yank 88K out of the field without using granny hole with no problems whatsoever.

Edited by Greywolf 11/5/2006 15:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)