AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time for a semi?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jedeka
Posted 11/4/2006 23:59 (#58148 - in reply to #58137)
Subject: RE: Time for a semi?

Boone, Iowa
I know there are a lot of good trucks out there for your needs, but think practical. I would start with a tandam axle tractor with setback front axle, day cab, big block motor, 9 or 10 speed with low hole for pulling out of fields, and wheelbase of 212" minumum. I think you will get a better ride and will scale the weight with a 40 + foot long trailer. Setback axle will help get in and out of farm drives, which should have a minumum of 30 ft. top. The big block motor will help you get up to highway speeds easier and go with the flow of traffic. If you are running 60 mile round trip, the 9 or 10 speed tranny will work OK and won't have a weight penalty of the 13+ speed tranny. If you are not really concerned about weight, you will find the OTR trucks with sleepers can be bought cheaper than a daycab. As for trailers, I started with a 26' steel and worked up to a 41' Wilson. I don't think I get bothered by DOT as much with the bigger trailer compared to the shorter trailers. The shorter trailers prevent us from running 80,000 because of bridge laws in Iowa. A 40' aluminum trailer will weigh about the same as a 34' steel. I would only by an air ride trailer. The spring rides seem to buck more. You will be spending at least $35,000 for a decent tractor and trailer. If you sell a couple of the wagons, your cost comes down. You can make two trips with the semi to one trip with tractor and wagons. Granted, you will have license and insurance, but will also save money by not hiring trucks for the longer hauls. You may be able to market more crops for a better price if you have the semi to haul it yourself. This is my 2 cents. I hope this helps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)