AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Elevation Mapping
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Don Smith
Posted 11/5/2006 14:37 (#58285 - in reply to #58261)
Subject: Re: Elevation Mapping

Centre county Pennsylvania, USA
Very perceptive questions. I agree that we do need a new thread to discuss elevation mapping fully but here are my thoughts on the original question regarding SF2 elevation maps:

I don't know if SF2 systems terrain compensate logged elevation but I believe they do terrain compensate logged latitude and longitude. If logged latitude and longitude are terrain compensated but not elevation then logged elevation will have an error if the surface is not flat. If the surface is flat but soft such that one side's drive tire(s) penetrates soil deeper than the other side then it would seem that terrain compensated elevation would have an error, if we consider elevation to be elevation from soil surface. I'm (almost) certain that SF2 yield logging systems do not solve that apparent problem now.

After examining example elevation maps from different areas in the corn belt that have been imaged from SF2 yield file data, my belief is that those elevation maps are not sufficient for precision land grading or drainage operations. I do believe they are sufficient for correlating yield, and other sampled field information, with elevation. For example, in many cases elevation and yield in SF2 maps appear to be remarkably correlated (or anti correlated).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)