AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Overhauled our IR 2115 air-impact yesterday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 3/14/2009 08:29 (#643907)
Subject: Overhauled our IR 2115 air-impact yesterday

Chebanse, IL.....

I'm reporting back on a previous topic. A while back here I asked about tune-up kits for air impacts, specifically Ingersoll-Rand guns. Some here had successfully overhauled, so it sounded like an OK project. We've got a couple IR 2115 3/8" drive wrenches & one was sluggish & stalling. So, I ordered a 2115-TK1 tune-up kit for it. I think it was a little over $30, coming from Buzzard Gulch (not an ad, just a fact). The kit had lots of o-rings, gaskets, bearings, & new vanes in it. There were no instructions, so we just proceeded cautiously trying to lay things out for re-assembly. IR does have a parts breakdown on their website for their guns (see below), so that helped some. Actually, the gun is pretty simple inside. We were a little confused when we got to the vanes however. Some were in the cylinder in one direction, some another. So, I called the "helpline" 800 phone # that was printed on the pkg. I figured that was going to be a joke....but I was wrong. The nicest lady w/an American southern accent answered & handled my question directly. I was not put on hold or handed off to anyone else. She said the notches in the vanes identified the outside vendor that made the vanes & she added that "alternating" the direction of the notches seemed to improve torque, according to their tests, though theoretically, it shouldn't make any difference. She was real-actual help. She understood the situation & obviously knew her product. XM/Sirius needs to take lessons from IR!

Including time cleaning the old parts in the parts washer, you could probably rebuild in 30 minutes. We reassembled the gun & it has full power+ again. Put a Gr5 bolt/nut thru a plate of steel & the gun would readily strip the threads from the bolt, or simply snap the bolt.....repeatedly.

So, no problem on rebuilding...HERE. Not counting our labor, we have a little over $30 in rebuild. It's worth it to us vs throwing the gun away & buying a new one.

Here's IR parts page exploded view:

http://www.irtools.com/ir_pdfs/Tools/Impact%20Tools/Air%20Impactools/04584041_ed2.pdf

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)