AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why does a Detroit lower a trucks value?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rangersd
Posted 3/6/2009 01:21 (#633449 - in reply to #633270)
Subject: Re: Why does a Detroit lower a trucks value?

South Central South Dakota
The 60 series Detroit is a very good motor. It will get better fuel mileage than a cat or Cummins. One that has been taken care will go 1 million to 1.2 million miles. The injectors my need replaced between 600,000 to 750,000 miles. On a Detroit 60 series you do have to do them all at the same time. A cat will out pull a 60 series on hill every day. But the Detroit will get 6 to 7 miles a gallon were alot of cats run low 5 mpg to mid 5 mpg. Cats are more expensive to work on and will need more attention at 600,00 to 700,00 (crank bearings) and you will start replacing injectors. With that said if the cat has been taken care of it will run same miles before a major but at more expense. I have drove both allot of miles and I love my kitty but it does come at a bigger expense. Never had the newer Cummins. To rebuild a cat motor today like mine the 3406 E is over 20,000!!!! I would pull a oil sample on any motor,tranny and rear ends. Send it in to Blackstone labs. With last years high fuel prices lots of truckers cut back on oil changes. Instead of 10,000 miles they were 20,000 to 30,000!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)