AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

7.3L with Spicer tranny continued from below
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RodInNS
Posted 3/5/2009 17:11 (#632825 - in reply to #632378)
Subject: RE: 7.3L with Spicer tranny continued from below

I don't think you're going to hurt it by using the engine to slow you down, but it won't slow you much without a Pac brake.
What you can carry is based on your axle tags. Something like that with juice brakes probably has a 17 or 19k# rear and a 7-10K# front. I think you're going to be heavy with 6 yards in the box... Way heavy.

I would think that adding air brakes would be a major headache on that truck. Probably require changing the axles... and then you've still got to mount the compressor, tanks, and all the controls... on a rusty old ****-liner.
I'd leave this one as is if you buy it... but I'd tend to think that if you have some time, a similar S-line with a DT466, 6 speed transmission and heavy axles with air bakes would show up somewhere. Mabey more money, but a lot more truck.
I'd just get the CDL if necessary. It's not that big of a deal... or it isn't here.

With that kind of weight that you're talking about, I'd not want to be taking chances with hydraulic brakes... and regardless of what anyone thinks of the powerjoke, there's no way it has the torque of a DT466.

Rod
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)